A fairly new and unknown feature of ‘Microsoft Word for Web’ is the ability to transcribe audio. This is very handy if you need a way to record a conversation that will then be transferred to a document, or if you simply feel more comfortable using this way to make notes. The best thing is that the whole process is automated and free (with an Active Office 365 Subscription), albeit it might take some time since the recording needs to be uploaded to Microsoft’s servers first. To take advantage of the new transcribe features, you need to:
- Create a new Microsoft Word document.
- Find the ‘Dictate’ dropdown menu, and then select ‘Transcribe.’
- Select either ‘Upload Audio’ or ‘Start Recording’ and grant the app the permissions it requires.
- Once the timestamp starts moving, you will know that the recording is live, and you can start talking.
- Once finished, click ‘Save’ and then ‘Transcribe Now’ to start the transcription process.